Friday 21 October 2011

Coastal Trials!!

As part of my extended project for Geography, the half term sees me out on the North Norfolk Coast, studying the direct and non direct influences of coastal retreat. My chosen locations of study...where else but Overstrand and Happisburgh; both of which are areas that have experienced widespread retreat in the last century. These two locations serve not just as points of geographical interest, but as areas of rest and relaxation for both the locals and visitors. Having said this, the atmosphere is far from relaxed; as coastal degradation continues, the local residents fear for their property and their lifestyles, questioning whether the present defence systems are actually effective.

Despite similar situations, Overstrand and Happisburgh are two very different studies; geographically, the oceanographical, fluvial and sub-aerial processes both vary as does the geomorphology of the beach profile and the cliff. For my project, I am undertaking a micro study of a very small section of each beach, measuring, taking samples, and analysing them back in the lab at Paston College. I undertook a piece of coursework here a couple of years ago- a very thorough piece of work - but where this is limited in quantity, it more than half makes up for in quality. The investigation methods are more scientific and it's my individual project, meaning the world's my oyster on what I do!

The Trials:

This Wednesday, I took my equipment and myself to Overstrand and Happisburgh, to test the equipment! My thanks go to my Mum who ferried me around the coast with a lot of patience. For most of my investigation, the tides were high, and some measurements proved difficult; wave height measurements at Happisburgh proved impossible. As I edged nearer to the shoreline, a large storm wave caught me by surprise and no lifejacket, raincoat or waders would protect me against the resulting chilling splash that came next.

I found myself very much against time during this day of trials, and when it comes to the real thing next week, I need to credit myself more time. After all, it's marking out exactly where to measure which takes the most time up; the sample collecting takes little to no time at all. As for the methods themselves, I won't go into these here; maybe I will explain later on, but they are all standard coastal investigative techniques, which I have sourced from books, journals and from the web within the last couple of months. If you have seen me carrying equipment at college these last few weeks, it's most probably been for this. My garage is full of stuff at the moment: from ranging poles, to trundle wheels (thanks Flegg High) clinometers, graduated sieves.... you name it, I've probably got it!

Back at the lab, later this week, I unpacked my 'trials' samples and started to dry them in the drying oven. This is very important; you can't put sand through the sieve when it's hydrostatically bonded! It's the lab work, I'm really looking forward to. The whole thing is more professional and 'real' than any other fieldwork I have conducted before. I will let you know how it goes next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment