Tuesday 16 October 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 47: Newspaper Appearance, and Hello Snow!

After a couple of nights at the Coldfoot Inn this weekend, it was refreshing to be back in my hostel bed, with complete control on when I got up this morning. However, perhaps this comfort was slightly shadowed by the fact that I had to make my own pancakes and couldn't just pop over the road to get a stack. Since I left Billie's Backpackers, on Friday, a number of guests have left, and new ones have made their beds. As I was making my pancakes I detected a familiar accent, and I turned to see the second British couple that I have set eyes upon so far on this scholarship. This couple were from London. Isn't it strange that whilst I have been in America, I have been surrounded by the warming personalities of the American people, so much that I found this British couple quite abrupt and authoritative. Needless to say, I didn't make conversation, but continued on with eating my breakfast.

Some good news, well for me anyway. A few weeks ago I submitted one of my favourite photos of the Alaska fall, to the Daily News Miner (the local newspaper). They were asking for people's autumn photos and not being a professional photographer, I didn't think my photo would get in at all. So, I was very pleasantly suprised to see that it actually did, in this Sunday's paper. They even added my caption that I sent with the photo. I've tried to get the best snapshot of the newspaper here.


I had a meeting scheduled this morning with one Guido Grosse, a research assistant professor in the Permafrost Laboratory, University of Fairbanks and regrettably I was late leaving the hostel. After the fun and excitement of this weekend, I really wanted to take today easy, but I found myself power walking to the university. Huffing and puffing, with a sweat breaking by the end, (eventhough it was -6 degrees C), I reached the Geographical Institute and took the lift to floor 5, where Guido was based. I swear everyone works on the top floors! Finally, I shook hands with a man, although it turns out I had introduced myself to the wrong person and Guido was actually in the next office.

Settled after the embarrasment, which I think I handled well in the circumstances, Guido and I discussed our backgrounds and we talked about the possibility of me going on a fieldtrip with them. Guido's team is working on thermokarst lakes, and specifically quantifying how much methane is being released from them. Presently, it looks like I'm going out with the group this Friday to a few lakes in the surrounding area.

Taking the bus to downtown, I decided to see another one of these locally produced films, in the Morris Thompson Visitor Centre. As I expected, I was the only one who had bothered to; perhaps people like being outside in the cold?! Today's short film was about the Alaska Great Wildlife Refuge, including the Brooks Mountain Range which was appropiate giving the fact I have just come back from a weekend up there. Whilst the film was good, the sound mysteriously cut out 3/4 way through. I could have asked for technical support, but I had seen enough to satisfy myself in the knowledge that Alaska has some stunning areas of wilderness.


I walked out the visitors centre to a winter's wonderland. Fairbanks had finally received its first flurry of snow. I say 'finally' because according to the newspaper, the snow has been quite late arriving to Fairbanks this year. I must also point out that it's only a dusting so far, but it's already enough to cause excitement downtown. From the bridge, the Chena river is freezing at the edges, and pathways are as white as paper.


Buses, I feel, are becoming busier, especially now that the snow is here to detract shoppers to walk. Increased traffic has also made them run a little late too. Unfortunately, it's only day 1 of the snow, and already a car has turned over on its roof, this afternoon. I have to admit to being slightly nervous about future bus travel, following overhearing a bus conversation on the way back to the hostel. Apparently, buses are involved in winter accidents each year; last year, an intoxicated car drive drove into the side of a bus at 40mph. Putting it all in perspective though, I rather be on a bus than have to walk in -40 degree temperaturesm, which could be just as dangerous.

Back at the hostel, the snow was about half an inch thick, and I managed to acquire some good shots.


Joe, our avid outdoors man and teepee hosteller, (see previous blog posts) decided it would be fun to get as cold and wet as he could. American fun never ceases to amaze me!

No comments:

Post a Comment