Wednesday 14 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 76: Northern Center and Northern Lights

Another clear, sunny day here in Fairbanks, despite the fact that another cold spell has moved over the city. It's somewhat to my relief that I can move south to warmer climes next week. I've just checked the temperatures at Los Angeles: 25 degrees C. Amazing to think that the difference between Alaska and Los Angeles' daytime temperatures is purely the positive and negative sign! I spent the morning doing the necessary admin work here at the hostel and finished my indoor spell with a spontaneous Skype call with a couple of friends from England. Keeping in contact when you're overseas is very important.

After yesterday's all'interno adventures, I decided that today required a long walk in the fresh air. There was a bit of a windchill this afternoon, but nothing that wrapping up warm in my winter gear didn't sort out. I headed east on College Road and wasn't surprised to see that the Sun was setting; after all, the days are becoming very short and the nights always seem to be drawing in when I'm setting out for my day's adventures. After much self-deliberation, I decided to walk to the Northern Alaska Environmental Center. I've passed this building for the last two months and until today, never really found an opportunity to make a dedicated trip inside.

The Northern Center is a fantastic place. It's just as inviting structually with a ploughed path towards the door, as the interior design which offers anyone who strolls in a seat on a comfy sofa and an assortment of hot beverages and a plate of chocolate biscuits. The sign on the door which encourages casual visits is just as warming as the people who come out their offices to greet you when you enter.


I got to chat with Lori Hanneman, the membership coordinator, who is equally as passionate about the environment as I am. We discussed, over a coffee, the adventures of my trip thus far, and then went onto talk about how Alaska preserves as much of the wilderness as possible for future generations. It seems that the state's oil and mining industries are a risk to the integrity of some of Alaska's most pristine spots, and it's become a point of conflict over the years. Still, it seems that a large proportion of Alaska's population support the efforts of the Northern Center, and over it's 41 year history, the non profit organisation has attracted hundreds of members.


My long-ish walk back to the hostel was one which challenged me through Alaska's continuous bitter weather, but I rewarded my efforts with a chilli and rice, and I followed it with the rest of the Peach Cobbler that Billie very generously made a couple of days ago. Tucking very keenly into it, Eiichi (a very talented photographer staying here at the hostel) came running in, claiming the Northern Lights were out. So, I took myself and my camera out for what could easily be my last viewing of them for some time. Well, they were there, but they weren't as bright as usual. Eiichi managed to get some extremely good shots; I, on the other hand, only managed this. Well, perhaps this faint display is just a precursor to a vibrant electrifying spectacle tomorrow.

1 comment: