Monday 5 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 67: Fairbanks Classic Car Musuem and my last walk through Creamers Field

Can you believe that there are still things in Fairbanks to see, despite the fact that I've been here 2 months? It's just great that there are still sights and attractions to visit, and this late into the year. The Fairbanks Car Musuem is no exception. Despite the overcast day, I wrapped up warm, and set off for what would be an hour's walk to the car musuem, in the Wedgewood Resort.

My walk towards the musuem went through the Creamers Field, and it would actually turn out to be my last walk through it. It's so very necessary to revisit places, as you so often see new and exciting things on each visit. This happened to be the case as I entered into Creamers Field; the wooden statues stood out a mile, and as I got closer, I saw that they were of large prehistoric creatures: a bison, an elephant and a cheetah. From analysing fossil findings, these creatures were probably parading Creamers Field long before humans arrived in Alaska.


Now in the midst of winter, walking through Creamers is a very solitary experience; it's just you and the snow. Today, the sun was trying to peek through the thick nimbus snow clouds, and when it momentarily did, the snow was as bright as paper. The last time I ventured through Creamers Fields, I encountered a Red Fox; today, wildlife was scarce, or perhaps it was there and I just unlucky not to see any.


I eventually reached the car musuem or in other words I eventually reached a warm cosy building after an hour of challenging trekking. From the outside, it doesn't necessarily look like a musuem, but perhaps a warehouse or a similar property. As I entered I was greeted by a young man who told me that he had watched me walk around the building; he seemed to be helping his Nan out running the musuem at the weekend and he was busying himself with the CCTV cameras. After a short introduction at counter, I was allowed to walk around freely; in between, beside and all around classic cars.


It's amazing to think that there was a time, not so long ago, that I wouldn't have so free-willingly walked around a classic car musuem for an hour, but it seems that this scholarship has-like everything else- made me more open minded. I was making my way through history; each car on display in the musuem offers something of unique prestigiousness, but at the same time, they each have quite a lot in common. They are, after all, as a whole, a memory of a time when people's cars were quite a substantial part of their life; something to demonstrate your wealth, something to be proud of. Nowadays, it seems that the automobile is primarily a method of easy transportation. Gone is the augustness, and the true meaning of owning a car.


Having being brought up in a family with a passion for classic cars, I understand to an extent the work that has to be done to keep all these priceless vechicles in good condition. The musuem doesn't just showcase the cars; a specific area of the building is dedicated to maintain them, whether it's polishing or pumping tyres. After all, some of these exhibited cars often go to classic car competitions. The superb 1919 McFarlan won gold at a recent event, and if you see it face up, you'll understand why.

 

I had made my way round them all in just over an hour, and then committed myself to another hour's walk. Incidentally, I should mention that Bill and Sarah have contacted me. They are back in Australia and are settled into routine. Their friend, Jackie, came over tonight with a bag of cheesy potato and shrimp soup, and I obligently accepted it as my dinner tonight. With rice, it was certainly tasty, and probably one of the best meals I've had here for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. The car museum looks amazing! It is amazing how they have classic cars that look like they just came fresh out of the manufacturer’s factory. I bet they also work perfectly, considering their pristine condition. That car museum is certainly a place to go when in Fairbanks.


    @Tyra Shortino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a doubt, a classic car like that would definitely receive an award. You can see from the photo that it really deserves to be recognized. It’s really magnificent! If it wasn’t in the museum and I just saw it on the road, I would probably think that this vintage just came out in the auto world recently.

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I thought those wooden, prehistoric creatures are characters from the ‘Ice Age’ movie. And my, oh, my! The 1919 McFarlan, which was the most expensive car made in the United States and was called the 'American Rolls-Royce,’ is so worth walking the distance in the snow.

    Ivo Beutler

    ReplyDelete