Tuesday 6 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 68: -28 degrees C: Goodbye Jerry, Lunchtime Documentary, and my first American Cinema Experience

Can you imagine what -28 degrees C feels like? I can't possibly use words to describe it, because by thinking about it, it only makes me feel cold again! But trust me, it's not something you can casually pop down to the shops in, unless you have special gear, and fortunately for me, I do have such equipment.

Today, long term resident Jerry who has been here in Fairbanks on and off for the last 20 years, was leaving Alaska to head south, to warmer climes, (you see, a sensible man!) I didn't know him as much as I would have liked to. All I do know from my occasional conversations is that he used to work in the oil plants in the North, he used to be a chef, and knows pretty much Fairbanks inside out (including, it seems, the bus timetables as if he wrote them, but then knowing his affiliation with the city, I wouldn't be surprised if he had!) Nonetheless, I was very lucky to be invited to his last Alaskan breakfast, with fellow hosteller Miranda. It was to be held at Sam's Sourdough Cafe. Ah, I haven't been there in at least a month, perhaps longer, so enjoying three pancakes without the hassle of making them and washing up was a great change. There was only one snitch possibly; Jerry thought 8:00am was a good time to head out. I had reservations about this as it meant a 7:00am start; was breakfast worth this effort?


Well, it turned out to be very much worth the effort! It was a fantastic morning, full of laughs and lively conversation. I was treated to two lovely hot chocolates and the pancakes were very satisfying. Maybe that will be my last trip to Sam's Sourdough Cafe; for this trip anyway. I remember the daily ritual which involved me religiously ordering the full stack every morning. It seems ages ago now.

With temperatures looking around the -25 degrees C mark all day, I decided to head to the visitors center, on the off chance there might be an interesting film on. There was, as a matter of fact, and I stayed for at least an hour. It was a DVD documenting the life of Dick Proenneke, an American who decided to spend a year out alone in Alaska's wilderness. This was back in the 60s; he built a log cabin, he hunted his own food, he even made his own tools! His story can be found in his book One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey. Well, I've got to say, what a guy?! I left the visitors center, with the feeling that I shouldn't moan about the weather when there are people like Dick who can survive a year on their own, in a wilderness, so far from civilisation. Hope is pretty much all you have out there; hope, courage and your own company. I don't know about hope and courage, but I can tell you, as I've told you before, meeting people and sharing other people's company has been such a substantial part of this scholarship.

My afternoon slowly but surely met evening, and suddenly I was asking where exactly had the sun been all day? Rather then spending the evening hostel-bound, I decided that I would join a group to the cinema; it would actually be my very first American Cinema experience. I'm not sure why I capitalise that; perhaps, I was expecting the whole experience to be rather more grand than those cinematic experiences back in England. From outside, you could somewhat see what I mean. It's a giant building, and the car park is larger still.


I don't know what I was expecting from an American cinema. Flashing lazer lights, red carpets, flying through the air cafeterias? Well, everything up to the 'buying snacks' part was completly normal, although for a US cinema, I was expecting a little more security, especially after the Colorado incident earlier in the year. When I approached the snack bar, I ordered a large popcorn- big mistake. I forgot that the word "large" here actually means large! The bucket of popcorn was enough to feed the whole cinema; I couldn't believe it.


I haven't yet told you what film we were going to see. By any means, Cloud Atlas isn't a massive blockbuster; it's got your Halle Berrys and your Hugh Grants, but that's about it, as far as fame goes. It's a very anachronic narrative too, with lots of leaps in time and then almost similar frantic leaps back again. I enjoyed it, nonetheless, and can now say I have experienced yet another segment of American culture. After all, where would America be without the 'big screen'?

No comments:

Post a Comment