Saturday 24 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 86: Black Friday Parade, Seattle Aquarium and Fireworks

The power of spontaneity never ceases to amaze me. I was eating my breakfast this morning, which these days consists of cereals and toast, when I suddenly saw on live local television news, a parade taking place in the city centre. Naturally, therefore, I rushed down the remaining cereal and ran to be part of it. The rain was lashing down, and would do for most of the day, but still I dodged puddle (and in some places what could be classed as a small pond) to get a good viewing spot. Fortunately, I reached a good enough position in order to take in all the action.


It's amazing to think that yesterday, this city was a ghost town, with Thanksgiving a suitable enough reason to stay indoors with the family. Within twenty-four hours, that reserved atmosphere had manifested into a city very much alive; a multi-cultural community joining in the rhythms of street celebration that this parade was providing. Why was there a parade in the first place? Well, today is not only Black Friday, but the start of Winter Fest; a season full of winter activities that the people of Seattsle and far beyond can take part in. Macy's Superstore were the ones organising this street parade, which in format, were like the Flower Shows of the Channel Islands.


Lots of people were taking part in what couldn't have been very comfortable weather to be wearing any particular costume or uniform. By the time the performers, musicians or dancers had reached my part of the course, they had obviosuly endured all they could bear, and were starting to lose any feeling of jubilation they originally had!


I had planned to go on a cruise that woul offer great views of the city, but looking out towards Elliot Bay, the rain was shielding any view I had of the boats and I figured it would probably be more hassle than it was worth. The rain was starting to become heavier and more persistant now, but having said that, my bag waterproofing was working a treat! It seems that rain- or indeed any precipitation- lands in Seattle more frequently than one would hope for. I think it's also proud of this fact; why else, then, would they display a large broken umbrella in the middle of an avenue?


With the cruise crossed of the list, my next place to visit was the Seattle Aquarium. I've heard good reports from people who have previously been so it was worth a go. It's amazing how rain can affect your mood; the simplest and smallest of things were starting to irritate me, like the crying of a baby, or someone walking straight in front of me. My jeans were rather damp and uncomfortable, but making the best of it as I could, I continued around the aquarium. The Aquarium is split into two sections: the fish side of things and then everything else from sea birds to otters and sea lions. Other than this split, there really wasn't anything remarkably unusual about this place, but it was great to once again see the wide variety of wildlife that lives in the depths below.

I had arrived just in time for a live feeding demostration, and although the commentary was probably aimed at young children, this was something that Seward SeaLife center in Alaska never offered. Sea Otter were popular with the photographers; they lay resting on the water, and why not? It must be hard being an otter; sleeping, eating, swimming and drinking- all day, everyday.


There were some center exhibits that allowed visitors to touch, such as the Starfish. I was guarenteed by one of the volunteers that these would not attack upon such unwished for probing, so I went for it! I've never stroked a Starfish; the skin feels much more tough than I first expected.


My final Seattle experience was going to be a special one; I would literally be seeing the city off with a bang, as Westlake Center were holding a special live music concert and fireworks. Still the rain pursued, but with the right gear, standing outside isn't that bad. I managed to get a good position to hear the concert, but couldn't always see what was going on. A large Christmas tree was lit, and momentarily afterwards, the fireworks began. It was a great way to see off Seattle. Before I leave tomorrow afternoon to go to Portland, I will make one last trip around the city, and then brace myself for my first ever Greyhound Bus ride, which by all accounts, should be an interesting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment